Crime scene cleaners are often the “second responders” in a scene of a crime. They come after investigators and police officers complete their investigation process. The main reason for having the scene cleaned up is to get rid of biological materials, particularly bodily fluids like blood. These materials are hazardous and pose health risks to the people living around the crime scene.
Cleaning a crime scene, whether at home or business, can be overwhelming. The cleaning process is tedious and not to mention the emotional burden you might be grappling with following the violent crime. The good news is that there are professionals who can handle the cleanup and spare you the agony. When a violent incident strikes, contact a professional and reputable crime scene company in Brea, California.
Although it’s the last thing you might want to think about, it is crucial to understand what is involved in a crime scene cleanup. This is a good starting point in choosing the right crime scene cleanup company. It also gives you prior knowledge of what to expect during the cleanup. So, let’s delve into what exactly is involved in a crime scene cleanup process.
Who Conducts the Cleanup?
There is a common misconception that the cleaning of a crime scene is the responsibility of law enforcers. The flip side of it is that the responsibility of cleaning up the scene lies squarely on the property owner. You will be required to cater for all the costs involved. There are insurance policies that cover the cost of cleaning up a crime scene. However, this is not always a guarantee, and you might want to counter check your policy to verify the coverage. Before you embark on the cleanup process, ensure that you have received a green light to do so from the police.
Crime Scene Cleaning Company
The nature of biohazardous materials found in a crime scene makes it an unsafe place to be. Bodily fluids found in such areas may contain dangerous pathogens such as HIV, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C. They can be easily transferred to other people if handled inappropriately. As such, the safest way to clean a crime scene is by hiring a professional crime scene cleanup agency. A good company will have the right knowledge, cleaning materials, and equipment. This will guarantee you remediation of the crime scene back to its former state without much hassle. So what should you look for in a good crime scene company in Brea, California?
- Government certification and licensing
- Specialized knowledge and skills in crime scene remediation
- Appropriate cleaning materials and equipment
- Quick response time
- Positive reviews and testimonials
In addition to the qualifications above, the cleanup crew must have other essential qualities, including:
- Attention to detail: Professional cleaning technicians will leave no stone unturned. They will ensure the area is restored to its pre-incident status.
- Commitment: Crimes always occur in the oddest times of the day. As such, a crime scene clean up service should have flexible working hours.
- Integrity: The crime scene could be right in the middle of your personal property. In this case, the integrity of the cleaning crew is of great importance.
- Compassion and empathy: Violent scenes often result in death or severe injury of people. You want a cleaning team that will handle you with kindness and respect during such moments of grief.
It is wise to identify a reputable crime scene clean up company in Brea, California, long before a crime incident knocks at your door. It will save you the headache of trying to find the right assistant when it’s too late.
A professional company should also have the right tools and material, including the following:
- PPEs including boots, one-time non-porous suits, filtered respirators and gloves
- Regular cleaning materials like buckets, brushes, mops, sponges and spray bottles
- Razor blades and putty knives to scrape off blood and brain matter stuck on the surfaces.
- Enzyme solvents to eliminate pathogens
- Industrial-grade deodorizers
- Hospital-strength sanitizers and disinfectants
- Ozone machinery to rid of unpleasant smell
Clearing a scene of a crime is not as easy as removing and replacing the carpet. Bloodborne pathogens are notoriously dangerous and could remain on surfaces for months or years, subsequently causing diseases. The area must be cleaned thoroughly. Clearing a crime scene can take up to three days. It all depends on the extent of trauma in the area. The cleaning activities to expect from your crime scene cleanup company include the following:
- Scrubbing and wiping of all blood stains from surfaces such as walls, ceilings, counters, appliances, wall hangings and pieces of artwork
- The scrapping of bone fragments and brain matter stuck on surfaces
- Removal and disposal of blood-stained carpets, rugs, and upholstery
- Tracking down and burning maggots that may have scurried out of a decaying body
- Destroying all the dangerous pathogens using medical-grade chemicals
- Deodorizing the area to get rid of unpleasant odors
- Disposing of the biohazardous material away from the general public
Cleaning of a crime scene is not as easy as it may sound. The nature of biohazardous materials found in such areas calls for a consummate cleaning process. It is a process better left to the experts who have the right knowledge, skills, experience, and equipment. By hiring the right crime scene cleanup company in Brae, California, you get assured of complete remediation of your property. Conduct proper research before you hire the company to make sure they have the right qualifications. A good cleanup crew will also treat you with utmost respect and dignity while working around your property. They will also work with speed to ensure that things fall back to normalcy in the shortest time possible.