A true challenge you can face at or in your home (or business) is the presence of some type of biohazard. If you’ve found yourself in this type of situation, you undoubtedly have a number of questions. As is the case with most people in your shoes, when you face a biohazardous situation in your home or business, it is the first time that you’ve encountered this type of occurrence. Thus, you may not even know where to turn to find answers to your very real and understandable questions. We provide you an overview of the essential information you need when needing to address and eliminate a biohazardous situation in your home. The information we present includes a summary of what you need to do to find the most suitable biohazard cleanup company in Mecca, California.
What Exactly Is a Biohazard?
A biohazard is defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as a biological substance of some type that has the proclivity to cause illness in humans, including serious or even fatal disease. Biohazards, also known as biological hazards, are placed in one of four different categories:
- Other microorganisms
Depending on the underlying nature of a biohazardous situation that exists in a residential setting, the types of pathogens that might threaten the health and wellbeing of you and your family can include:
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- C. Diff
Bear in mind that this is a partial list of health-threatening pathogens that can exist in a biohazardous situation.
What Are the Most Common Ways a Biohazardous Situation Arises in a Home?
There is a multitude of ways in which a biohazardous situation in a residence can arise. Some of the most common of these underlying causes are:
- Rodent Droppings
- Infectious disease
- Unattended death (undiscovered death)
- Drug overdose
- Blood Spill
- Attempted suicide
- Attempted homicide
- Other violent crime
- Homeless encampment
What Is the Professional Biohazard Cleaning Process?
A biohazard cleaning company in Mecca, California undertakes the remediation process in a trio of steps:
- Deep cleaning and removal of biowaste
Deep Cleaning and Removal of Biowaste
Before diving into the biohazard remediation process, safety protocols must be in place. These safety practices must be followed if you elect to forgo professional assistance and attempt to pursue biohazard remediation on your own. The heart of biohazard safety protocols includes wearing and using appropriate personal protective equipment, also known as PPE:
- Protective eyewear
- Uniform, apron, or smock
- Mask or respirator
In addition, the scene of a biohazard must be cordoned off to prevent unauthorized or unprotected access. Indeed, if you do intend to engage the services of a professional Mecca biohazard cleanup company you need to secure the scene immediately to keep yourself and your family safe.
The first phase of biohazard cleanup involves the removal of biowaste, which includes:
- A biological matter like blood or rodent droppings
- Objects contaminated with biomatter that cannot be cleaned like sofa cushions
When biowaste is removed, the contaminated scene and remaining objects in it are thoroughly cleaned or scrubbed. The biowaste itself is placed in an appropriate biohazardous waste container. It is then transported to a duly authorized biohazardous waste disposal center.
The next phase of professional biohazard remediation is sanitization. Sanitization involves the use of medical-grade sanitizing agents and specialized equipment. These agents and equipment are designed to eradicate pathogens like bacteria and viruses.
The final phase of biohazard remediation is deodorization. Oftentimes, a biohazardous situation has an accompanying severe foul odor. A professional biohazard cleaning company utilizes powerful deodorizing agents and specialty equipment that thoroughly eliminates even the most pervasive, strident odors.
What Are the Steps I Need to Take to Hire a Reputable Biohazard Cleanup Company in Mecca, California?
- The first step in finding and hiring a reputable biohazard cleaning company in Mecca, California is identifying a professional that has a very solid background in remediating the precise type of biohazardous situation in your home (or business).
- The next step is confirming that a company is appropriately bonded and insured.
- You need to completely flesh out all financial issues before hiring a biohazard cleaning company. This includes obtaining a firm, reliable estimate. A reputable professional bills for services when work is completed and you have the opportunity to inspect the job and approve its completion.
- Find out if your homeowner’s insurance policy covers some or all of the costs associated with biohazard cleaning. When you ascertain if you have coverage, establish whether a biohazard remediation company accepts insurance and will assist with processing a claim.
- If the biohazardous situation at your residence (or business) arose from criminal activity, you may qualify for financial assistance from the California Victim Compensation Board. Among other resources, the Board can provide up to $1,000 in crime scene cleanup assistance.