Biohazard, also known as biological hazards, are biological substances that pose a threat to the health of living organisms, primarily human beings, according to the Los Angeles Department of Public Works. Biohazards come in the form of:
- Toxins (derived from a biological source)
Contact with a biohazard can have severe, even fatal, health consequences. Therefore, if you ever find yourself faced with some type of potentially dangerous situation involving biological materials, you need to understand the importance of engaging the assistance of an experienced, professional biohazard cleanup company in Los Angeles, CA such as Eco Bear Biohazard Cleaning Company. Biohazard cleanup is also known as biohazard remediation.
There are situations in which you might face the potential for direct contact with and exposure to substances containing biohazards. These are:
- Bodily fluids
- Other biological materials
Los Angeles Biohazard Cleanup and Classification of Danger
The Los Angeles Department of Public Health utilizes a four-tier system when classifying biohazards:
- Biohazard Level 1: Bacteria and viruses that present minimal risk to humans. Easier to contract than bacteria and viruses on other tiers, but do not typically cause significant illness. If exposed, people usually recover from illnesses caused by Biohazard Level 1 bacteria and viruses without incident.
- Biohazard Level 2: Bacteria and viruses that cause relatively milder disease in humans when contrasted with the two higher tiers, in most cases. People with compromised immune systems may have difficulty combating these diseases, as might children and older people. Examples of biohazards on this tier include hepatitis A, B, and C, salmonella, mumps, measles, and HIV.
- Biohazard Level 3: Bacteria and viruses that typically cause severe to fatal disease in humans. There are vaccines or other treatments for diseases that can be contracted by bacteria and viruses on this tier. Examples of biohazards on this tier include anthrax, West Nile virus, tuberculosis, hantavirus, typhus, and malaria.
- Biohazard Level 4: Viruses that typically cause severe to fatal disease in humans. Unlike viruses on at Biohazard Level 3, there are no vaccines or other treatments available for these diseases caused by these pathogens. Examples of biohazards on this tier include Ebola virus, Marburg virus, and various hemorrhagic diseases. Hemorrhagic disease is one that ultimately results in systemic bleeding that usually results in death.
Types of Biohazard Cleanup
In addition to biohazard cleanup more generally, there are specific situations that call for professional biohazard cleanup services in Los Angeles, CA. These specific types of biohazard remediation services are provided by Eco Bear Biohazard Cleaning Company and include:
- Crime scene
- Homeless encampment
- Unattended death
- Rat DroppingsYou can better understand both the importance of professional biohazard cleanup services and what is involved in the remediation process by considering some of the specific types of services offered by Eco Bear:
Suicide Cleanup in Los Angeles
One of the most shocking health-related statistics in Los Angeles involves the suicide rate. The Los Angeles suicide rate is higher than the number of homicides, drug overdoses and car crashes in the city. Suicide is the second leading cause of death of young people between the ages of 10 to 24 in Los Angeles. This is not some sort of typographical error. Children as young as 10 have taken their lives in LA at such a frequency in recent years that it has moved this cause of death into the second position. There are between 300 and 400 teen suicides in Los Angeles annually.
No tragedy quite compares to the death of a loved one at his or her own hand. The grief associated with the suicide of a family member or friend is wrenching and virtually incomparable.
Depending on the manner in which a loved one elected to take is or her life, the surrounding death scene can be horrific and present a set of unimaginable challenges.
If your loved one took his or her life in a violent manner, the Eco Bear Biohazard Cleaning Company is here for you. The compassionate, caring, experienced team at Eco Bear can tend to the suicide cleanup process while you begin the process of grieving the loss of your loved one. You simply do not need the added burden of worrying about how your home can be restored when you’ve lost a member of your family in this manner.
There are other services available to individuals who find themselves thinking about suicide There are also support services for individuals who’ve lost a loved one by suicide.
Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services offer vital assistance for people dealing with suicidal issues and other mental health matters as well as people who’ve lost a loved one to suicide. Didi Hirsch has three centers in Los Angeles with services for people struggling with mental health issues and individuals who have lost a family member or friend to suicide. These centers are located at:
Didi Hirsch Jump Street
1233 S. La Cienega Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90035
Didi Hirsch Metro
672 South La Fayette Park Pl. Suite 6
Los Angeles, CA 90057
Other resources serving people in Los Angeles include:
Los Angeles Youth Suicide Prevention Project: (800) TLC-TEEN [(800) 852-8336]
Los Angeles Mental Health Access Center Helpline: (800) 854-7771
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: (800) 273- TALK (8255)
Grief Support Groups in Los Angeles, California for Survivors of a Loved One’s Suicide
Survivors After Suicide
Suicide Prevention Center
DIDI Hirsch Community Mental Health Center
Culver City, CA
Meetings per Month: 8-week series
Fee: Donations Requested
Terry Jordan, LCSW, DCSW Psychotherapy
2001 S. Barrington Avenue, #202
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Separate Groups for Parents Who Have Lost Their Gay Teens to Suicide.
Fee: $40 per group
Unattended Death Cleanup
An unattended death occurs when someone dies and the body is not immediately discovered. Days, weeks, or even longer can pass before the remains are found. Discovering an unattended death represents one of the most gut-wrenching, horrific experiences imaginable.
The decomposition process results in the release of highly dangerous pathogens. The unattended death cleanup process demands professional biohazard cleanup in Los Angeles.
The experienced team at Eco Bear has the background necessary to thoroughly, compassionately, and safely remediate the aftermath of an unattended death. This includes all aspects of unattended death cleanup, including:
The Los Angeles Medical Examiner is involved in the aftermath of an unattended death. The Medical Examiner will perform a forensic examination to ascertain the cause and time of death.
1104 N. Mission Road
Los Angeles, CA 90033
Grief and Loss to Unattended Death Support Groups in Los Angeles
The Dangers of Rat Droppings
Many people are dismissive about cleaning up rat droppings and a cavalier attitude can prove dangerous. The stark, grim reality is that rat droppings can be hazardous to your health, even fatal, according to the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Rat droppings oftentimes contain life-threatening viruses that include:
- Hantavirus: This virus is spread through rodent droppings, urine, and saliva. If rat droppings are merely “swept up,” dust containing hantavirus infiltrates the surrounding air, which ends up being inhaled. Hantavirus is potentially fatal.
- Salmonellosis: This is a type of food poisoning that occurs when consumable items are contaminated by rat feces.
- Rat Bite Fever: This is a potentially fatal disease spread not only via a rodent bite but also via food contaminated with rat feces, urine, or saliva.
The only sure way to protect your health when facing the need to clean up rat or mouse droppings is to seek a biohazard cleanup professional. A biohazard remediation specialist has appropriate personal protective gear used during the cleanup process. Moreover, a biohazard cleanup professional utilized a multi-step process to fully remediate a situation involving rodent waste and associated viruses. The process returns the house to a livable condition or renders another space safely usable.
The Dangers of Sharps and Sharp Disposal
Sharps, primarily needles used for injecting illicit drugs, pose a health threat to the general population in Los Angeles. Needles and other sharps can be contaminated with biohazardous materials that can cause serious illness. The most common of these dangerous pathogens are:
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
In order to assist in protecting the public from unnecessary exposure to contaminated sharps,
Los Angeles maintains permanent collection centers for sharps. Sharps represent the only potentially biohazardous materials that can be directly “turned in” by a member of the public to these centers.
- Los Angeles County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
- Los Angeles County Environmental Permanent Collection Centers
- City of Los Angeles SAFE Centers
- Los Angeles County Dept. of Public Health Offices
- County of Los Angeles Sheriff Stations
Eco Bear Is Here for You
Eco Bear, a family owned business, is here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Call us 818-795-3614 if you’re in need of experienced, compassionate, professional biohazard cleanup in Los Angeles, CA.