If you’ve found yourself facing some sort of biohazardous situation in your home, you may be like the vast majority of homeowners and have serious questions about what to do next. You are presented with basic information about biohazards, biohazard remediation, and selecting a biohazard cleaning company in Pioneertown, California.
Overview of Biohazards
A biohazard is defined as a biological substance that has the potential for causing humans illness, even fatal disease in some instances. Biohazards come in four basic classifications:
- Other microorganisms
Types of Biohazardous Situations in Homes
A home can become the scene of an array of different types of biohazardous situations. With that said, there exist some types of biohazards that are more commonplace in a residence than others. These include:
- Attempted suicides
- Drug overdoses
- Traumatic illnesses
- Infectious diseases
- Attempted homicides
- Other crimes
- Unattended deaths (aka undiscovered deaths)
- Rodent Droppings
- Homeless encampments
Biohazards and Safety Considerations
If you have a biohazardous situation in your home, you absolutely must exercise all necessary safety protocols. You need to understand that you can contract a serious disease by coming into physical contact with a virus, bacteria, or other microorganisms. With that said, you can also contract an illness – and a serious one – by inhaling a pathogen that has become airborne. Because of the very serious risks a biohazardous situation presents, it is important that you cordon off the scene and make sure no one accesses it without appropriate protective gear.
Speaking of safety gear for a biohazardous situation, anyone involved in the cleaning process must wear approved personal protective equipment:
- Goggles or safety glasses
- Apron, uniform, smock
- Face mask or respirator
Commonplace Pathogens Underpinning Residential Biohazards
A biohazardous situation can host a variety of different dangerous, health-threatening pathogens. The more frequently seen pathogens found in a residential biohazardous scene are:
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
Cleaning up Biohazards
The process of cleaning up biohazards is a complex, multifaceted endeavor. The comprehensive process commences with the physical removal of biological substances at the scene. Examples of biological matter oftentimes found at a biohazard scene in a residence include:
- Bodily fluids
- Other human biomatter
- Rodent Droppings
- Raw sewage
Biomatter is placed in an approved biohazardous waste container. When this process is completed, a determination is made as to whether any objects at the scene cannot be cleaned of biomatter. For example, a sofa cushion saturated with blood will not be subject to cleaning. These types of objects will be disposed of with the other biohazardous waste.
The next phase of biohazard cleaning is the sanitization of the contaminated scene, including surfaces and the objects that remain at the scene. Sanitization necessitates the use of powerful medical-grade sanitizing agents. These agents eradicate viruses and bacteria, rendering the contaminated area safe to humans.
Finally, a biohazard in a residence very well may have an accompanying foul odor or odors. Sewage issues, unattended deaths, and other situations are accompanied by pervasive, permeating odors. These odors can only be eliminated via the use of powerful deodorization agents.
The ultimate objective of biohazard remediation in a residence is to restore a home to a fully livable condition. The process is designed to eradicate any trace of the biohazardous situation that previously impacted the residence. In the end, only an experienced biohazard cleaning company has the background, equipment, and other resources necessary to fully accomplish this objective.
Selecting a Biohazard Cleaning Company in Pioneertown, California
There are a number of factors that represent important considerations in the selection of a reputable Pioneertown biohazard cleaning company:
- Experience is a key consideration. You must select a biohazard remediation company that has experience in addressing the specific type of biohazardous situation you face in your home. For example, there are different challenges when dealing with remediating a situation involving rat droppings versus one involving an unattended death or undiscovered death.
- Consider a local biohazard cleaning company serving the people of Pioneertown.
- Get a firm, concise, and comprehensive estimate in advance of the commencement of a cleaning job. A reputable company will provide this type of estimate for you as a matter of routine.
- Confirm when payment will be due. A reputable biohazard cleaning company will expect payment when a job is completed. In addition, a well-regarded, dedicated biohazard cleaning company will assist you in finding financial assistance to pay some or all of the costs associated biohazard remediation at your home. For example, your homeowner’s insurance may provide you at least some coverage for biohazard clean up at your home. In addition, if a biohazardous situation in your home arises from a crime, the California Victim Compensation Board may provide you up to $1,000 to clean up the scene.